In 2009 I started to help with climbing and crate stacking sessions at my local Scout campsite and since then have worked hard to become a qualified climbing instructor. I am now Chief Instructor at The Climbing Station where I am continuing to develop my instructor training and client coaching skills.
Chief Instructor at The Climbing Station 2017–Present
- Coordinating instructed sessions and being responsible for running NIBAS and NICAS within the Gibbon and Academy groups.
- Helping to ensure that the centre has adequate staff cover to run efficiently and that instructor lead sessions have the appropriate instructor ratios.
- Ensuring that instructing staff receive the appropriate training to do their job efficiently and that they adhere to the centre’s policies and procedures.
- Working with the directors and other staff to ensure the centre continues to develop both in reputation and enhanced turnover.
- Greeting customers, making bookings, and other general duties.
Freelance Climbing Instructor in the Midlands 2012–Present
I lead sessions at various venues around Leicestershire and the Midlands including:
Beaudesert Activity Centre (2017 onwards)
Delivering have-a-go climbing and abseiling sessions to young people in school groups and organised youth groups.
Beaumanor Hall (2017 onwards)
Working with groups of young people (mostly Primary School age) to deliver team building, problem solving and challenge experiences in an outdoor setting. Activities include Climbing, Abseiling, High Ropes, Shelter Building, and Pioneering.
The Climbing Station (2012 onwards)
Leading sessions of bouldering and top-rope climbing with groups of children, young people and adults. Between 2012 and 2016 I regularly led the kids clubs, teaching NICAS 1–3 and coaching bouldering. Until becoming Chief Instructor, I continued to supervise climbing parties, inductions, and other crash courses as needed.
Leicester Outdoor Pursuits Centre (2017 onwards)
Working with groups of any age to deliver challenge experiences including Climbing, Abseiling and High Ropes from no experience to regular centre users.
The Tower Climbing Centre (2013 onwards)
Instructing groups and parties of varying ages and abilities as required, including 4 week introductory courses, 4 week learn to lead climb courses and NICAS levels 1–4. Also responsible for greeting customers, conducting competency tests for new members and maintaining health and safety standards within the facility.
Volunteer Climbing Assessor at Leicestershire Scouts 2016–Present
I assess candidates for artificial climbing and abseiling permits.
Volunteer Climbing Manager at Fox Coverts Campsite 2012–Present
I manage the climbing team at Fox Coverts Scout Campsite, where I run climbing and abseiling sessions for groups, and train new instructors from any experience up to Scout/Guide qualified level.
Volunteer Climbing Instructor at Leicestershire Scouts 2009–Present
I lead and supervise groups climbing and abseiling on artificial walls & towers, and on natural rock.