This Scheme is designed to help you give Girlguiding members their first taste of the adventure of climbing and abseiling. You just need some climbing experience before you can get started with the Scheme. After you’ve completed this Scheme, you’ll be able to instruct and supervise up to 12 Girlguiding members while they’re climbing and abseiling.
There are two levels to the Scheme:
Level 1: includes how to instruct and supervise climbing and abseiling sessions with Girlguiding members on purpose-built climbing walls and abseil towers with fixed anchor points.
Level 2: includes how to instruct and supervise climbing on some outdoor crags using in-situ anchor points such as trees, bolts and stakes.
For each level, you will need to:
- attend a Girlguiding-approved two-day training course,
- gain further experience and record it in your log book for about six months,
- hold an up-to-date 1st Response Certificate or higher first aid qualification,
- be a minimum of 18 years old at the time of assessment, and
- be assessed by an Mountaineering Instructor Award (MIA) holder.
If you are after a more advanced nationally recognised qualification, try the Mountain Training climbing schemes.
The course runs over two days and spends as little time in the classroom as possible, focussing on practicing all the practical aspects of the scheme.
Based in Leicestershire, I run occasional courses at local campsites as required. I’m happy to come to you, so if you’d like me to run a course at your centre please get in touch.